Emily

Monday, September 22, 2008

First Day of Nursery School

Dressed and ready for school!


Wearing the monkey backpack

Back view of the backpack

Walking down the stairs

Trying to open the door

Nametag and Rain Coat and in the hallway of school

Trying out Nursery School Play-Doh

I don't know if I have mentioned on here, but at the end of this past school year, I became a stay at home mom to Emily. It is something that I've wanted to do and so far, I've been really enjoying my time with Emily. Right now, I plan to stay at home for several years before returning to teaching high school kids.

Since Emily was not going to be returning to day care or a sitter's house, we decided to send her to a 2.5 year old nursery school program. Her class meets twice a week for 2.5 hours. It's just enough time to have a lot of fun playing and get a special snack before coming home for lunch. And it gives me some time to get to the gym and run a few errands.

Emily had her first day of school 2 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks had shortened sessions of school to help the kids adjust, so tomorrow will actually be the first day of 2.5 hours.

On the first day, Emily was ready to go long before it was time to leave. She sat at the top of the steps waiting to leave. She even brought me my shoes. It was all very cute. When we got there, she got a little unsure of everything. We sat down and did a little bit of play doh before I told her that I was going to leave. She said ok and I left and ran a couple of errands. The class time was only an hour. Well, I got back to a red faced and tear streaked little girl. The teacher said that she had needed a little bit of extra attention. That was an understatement! Emily told me (very excitedly) that she had a snack and had a cookie and apple juice! The teacher said it was just a cracker. The apple juice is a super special treat because Emily only drinks water and milk at home. Now she says that she gets apple juice at nursery school and it is her favorite! She also said "I played play doh with Mommy and then I cried and the teacher picked me up. Mommy leave and I cried. Mommy came back." She was very matter of fact about it and was excited about going back for the next day. I put Molly (her monkey) in her school back pack and when I left (and she cried) I let her reach in and take Molly out. The teachers reported that she did much better and only cried for a few minutes. She has been very positive when talking about it and told me that she played with Michael one day. She also loved going out to the nursery school playground. In fact, she talks about the nursery school stuff in "nursery school toys" "nursery school snack" and so on. She seems to enjoy it in spite of her clinginess at drop off time. She did great this past Thursday, so I am hopeful that tomorrow will be even better.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jill said…

    What cute pictures. Those will be fun to look back on when Emily starts Kindergarten. I know she is going to do great tomorrow for the full session!

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Grandpa and Grandma said…

    Hi,
    Very nice pictures of Emily's first day. I am sure the tears will soon stop. How else can she make Mommy feel guilty about leaving.
    She will have so much fun and learn so much this year.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emily, we loved seeing your first day of nursery school pictures. You are going to have so much fun playing with the other kids and doing many new things.

    Love,
    Grandy & Poppy

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jessica 7 said…

    Congrats on starting as a Stay At Home Mom! You'll love it - I do! "Some of the greatest work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." (Dallin H. Oaks) Emily looks so cute with her monkey backpack. She'll be used to school in no time. Good for you for making sure you have some time to yourself as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home