Emily

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Funnies and Firsts

I have a couple of funny Emily stories. They strike me as funny anyway because she is still a few days shy of 2 years old so still seems young to me. This morning as I was getting Emily ready, I sneezed a couple of times. Emily looked at me and said "Bless you." I was floored. It's not a manner that we've worked on with her. We focus on saying please and thank you and I'm sorry (she doesn't get that one yet). But, not bless you. So, she has obviously picked it up from watching and observing us. Then, when I went to blow my nose, she wanted to blow hers, too.

Greg, Emily, and I all walk downstairs to leave the house together. I usually carry Emily and Greg carries a bunch of our stuff. Then I hand Emily to daddy and they walk down the driveway to get the newspaper. It works as a good distraction for her since I'm leaving and she's usually not too happy about our parting. She told Greg that she wanted to get in her stroller and he told her that it is too cold outside today. So, she said "blankie?" Of course, if it's cold we keep her warm with a blanket. She just picks up all of this stuff so quickly.

Emily has also had several notable firsts over the last couple of days. We've been working on potty training and she knows what to do. Her sitter sits her on the potty at regular intervals and Emily goes most of the time. She stays in a diaper there, but at home, we've been trying training underpants on the weekends when we're home and have time to focus a little. It has not been the most consistent because we don't always have long stretches that we can focus on the potty. I put Emily in her underwear on Monday since she and I were home for the holiday. She stayed dry all day (diaper at naptime). We went out for a walk, had lunch and dinner, and played and she did great. Emily is going to be at home with Grandy and Poppy on Thursday, Friday, and Monday so they'll work on it and then when she goes back to her sitter, she'll hopefully be in underwear! Right now we've been using the thicker Gerber type training pants with a thin pair of Elmo underwear on top. She loves being able to wear Elmo undies!

Emily's other big first is that she had her first time out today! She was at the sitter's house and she and the other little girl that is close in age tried to climb the stairs while the sitter was making lunch. They know that is a no-no. So, they had a timeout together. Emily cried and was very upset about it. She's a pretty careful kid and doesn't like doing things wrong so I doubt that she'll try that again. The sitter said that she had a feeling that the other little girl had instigated the stair climbing. So, almost 2 and 1 time out. The sitter and I both agreed that she's doing pretty good.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Emily,
    That was very thoughtful of you to 'Bless' Mommy after her sneeze.

    You are doing a great job with potty training. Aren't those Elmo panties so much fun to wear and keep dry? Elmo is a good friend to have.

    Enjoy your time with Grandy and Poppy.

    Have a very happy 2nd birthday celebration on Saturday.

    Love,
    Grandma & Grandpa

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Jill said…

    A misbehaving Emily? I can't believe it. Where do you all go wrong??? :)

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emily, we loved reading about all of the new and cute things you are doing. I will have very sweet dreams tonight thinking about you and all the fun things we will be doing when I arrive tomorrow on the airplane to stay with you, Mommy & Daddy. I better go to sleep now so I have lots of energy to play with you. Poppy is excited to see you, too.

    Love,
    Grandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home